Saturday, August 11, 2007

Pictures of Wilmington's Independence Mall


While I was at the beach this week, I rode up to Wilmington and visted the Independence Mall. I had been there before, but I hadn't been to that mall since 2002.

My opinion on it is that it's a pretty nice mall. It's pretty big for a one-story mall and it has the most unusual layout imaginable as well as an odd shaped food court. The JCPenney actually had two mall entrances! Although it's not to phenominal Carolina Circle Mall standards, I admit it's a pretty cool mall. Also, I don't think I've seen a mall with a double deck carousel before.

Take a look at all 13 pictures here. Also, if anyone has additional information about the Independence Mall, let me know.

5 comments:

Livemalls said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Livemalls said...

I took the opportunity to shadow a couple of your excellent Belk photos at LiveMalls.

Blogger said...

Wow Bill, great photos. Also in previous post. I want to do smth like that (about blog). I do blog about Highways in Ukraine (http://euro2012highway.blogspot.com)there are some photos, but site is only on russian language :)

Jake Nelson said...

I could tell you some stuff: The place first opened in the '70s, I think, with only Sears, JC Penney, and Belk Beery. The first time I went there was in the late 90s, and the place was, in a word, tiny. Over the last ten years, it has changed its name from Independence Mall to Westfield Shoppingtown Independence back to Independence Mall, while expanding and gaining a Dillard's.

Jonah Norason said...

I think Northwest Plaza (also, for a time named Westfield Shoppingtown Northwest) has the best one-level floorplan. Another REALLY weird (read: cool) floorplan is Hammond Square Mall. See both on Labelscar. Hammond Square Mall was technically "The Village of Hammond Square" but the name never caught on.