Friday, August 19, 2005

Billy's Road Review: Interstate 85 Bypass


On Saturday, February 21, 2004, the Interstate 85 Greensboro Bypass opened from the Groometown area to East Greensboro.

This road to me is a great alternative to Death Valley if you're coming from Charlotte or High Point. The road is 13 miles, 6 to 8 lanes, 65 mph speed limit, and little traffic. This is a perfect example of the way Interstates should be.

Death Valley has had a history of wrecks. A lot have been unfortunately fatal and some not. There are narrow on/off-ramps, 6 roads merging together within a 3-4 mile distance, and traffic. The road was built about 40 years ago back when Greensboro was a lot quieter and smaller. The city has grown tremendously. This new bypass is a positive step further.

However, the road is not complete. Construction is currently underway to connect the current southwest end of the I-85 bypass and I-40 near the airport. I will have to start a new blog post on that.

So once the entire road is complete, Death Valley won't be so deadly.

Road Rating: 5 Stars *****

1 comment:

Livemalls said...

I'd give it 5 stars ***** too. I usually make a point to use it when I'm going to Raleigh.